Boston 2011

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Work, Run, Swim

Feb 22nd, 2011 - I managed to complete my first multi-sport event today in preparation for Kona 2030. Here are my splits and race report:

Work: 9 hrs 52 mins

I spent most of the morning by the water cooler, and then it was time for lunch. I was already bonking by 1PM, so I ended up taking more calories than I actually needed. This strategic mistake forced me to take a nap around 2PM. I woke up at 5PM and realized that I was close to the finish line. I had a snack and managed to get into the transition area by 5:52PM.

I need to focus on shaving off a couple of hours from this leg, which I think is very doable.

Transition 1: 19 mins 48 secs

My transition time sucked! There wasn't much I could really do with the other race participants causing a major back up on Route 3 North from Burlington all the way to the Lowell Connector. I guess I could get a motorcycle and weave in and out of transition traffic like a prick.

Run: 41 mins 34 secs

Like riding a bike, actually, it's more like running. I threw on my speedos and mowed down the 10K Bad Times Winter Series course in record time with Frank, James, Jeff, Glenn, and Scotty "Lowell Sun" Graham on my tail the entire way.

Transition 2: 15 mins, 23 secs

My transition time here was much better as most of the other race participants went for a beer and skipped out on the swim. I got over to the swim area at the BSC in Woburn by 8PM, removed my speedos, and started doggy paddling by 8:05PM.

Swim: 30 mins

I didn't drown.

I felt refreshed after all of that and I am convinced that doing the swim last, and after a long day, did the trick.

Now if only they would move the swim event to the end of the Ironman...

(Bike, Run, Swim, Cramp, Drown, Hospital, Dead)

0 comments:

Post a Comment