Boston 2011

Saturday, February 5, 2011

Like A Fish Out of Water, In Water

Feb 5th, 2011 - In case the BAA ever decides to turn the Boston Marathon into the Boston Triathlon, I went out and started my Scotty Graham training in earnest early this morning.

I started out at 5:45AM (I hate this already) on the 10 mile run from my apt to the UML pool for my first EVER swim lesson.

Yep, I'm learning how to swim. As in not learning how to be more efficient or faster in the water, but learning how NOT to drown, or more importantly, how NOT to drown those around me.

Rachel is my training partner in this whole fiasco and she'll be tackling her first Ironperson once she decides that running isn't stoopid. Fellow GLRR'er Paula C. is also joining me on this life-changing event, and also skipping out on Frozen Fudge, over the next few months.

Let's just say that my swimming ability is similar to my running ability when I first started running at the age of 6 months old, and we all know how that turned out. In short, if you were to ever book a cruise on the Unsinkable II, then don't make me your Jack to your Rose. I want to be Rose.

The first lesson went really well. I only had to stop at one water stop and had my fill. I only panicked twice and kicked Rachel in the face once. Speaking of Rachel, if there's a sandbagging award in swimming, then she wins that prize. We started out together and the instructor promoted her from greenhorn to assistant instructor in the matter of 10 minutes. In short, she's my Jack and I'm her bitch...in swimming.

The first lesson covered proper kicking technique and...nope. That's all I had time for and barely manage to figure that out by the time the kid's session started. If I hear one more kid laugh at me!....

The instructor did say "You rock!", but I was on the bottom of the pool at the time, so I might have misheard her.

In the end, we all agreed it was a great workout (much better than stoopid running), and I'm looking forward to not drowning again in two weeks. Stay tuned.


(Ohhhhhh, now I get it!!)

0 comments:

Post a Comment